Happy Valentine’s Day 2020 everyone! Here are some coffee stories you may use to break the ice with your date. Yes, it’s back:
Here we go!
Breaking News: Coffee can prevent bone fracturing when you grow old!
- A study out of Hong Kong has determined that regular coffee drinkers had “significantly higher bone mineral density, a marker of strong bones”.
- 12 metabolites (read the link below, I have no idea what this means) “were significantly associated with coffee intake, including 6 caffeine metabolites”.
- Three of these were further associated with Bone Mineral Density (BMD). Simply put, these are “associated with both coffee consumption and strong bones that were less likely to fracture”
- The study involved 564 adults who self-reported their coffee consumption.
- Sources, including the published study itself, did not mention if the subjects consumed black coffee or with milk/cream. Wonder how many of the 564 only actually drank black coffee
Link to the study: https://academic.oup.com/jcem/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1210/clinem/dgz210/5637088?redirectedFrom=fulltext
Snails can help save coffee?
- Zachary Hajian-Forooshani found bright-orange poop on the underside of coffee plant’s leaves in Puerto Rico, poop that oddly had the same color as coffee rust
- Yes, I am now writing about poop. Read on, this is actually interesting
- The poop were from the invasive Asian tramp snail and he observed that these little things were actually eating coffee rust without damaging the leaves themselves.
- However, scientists and Hajian-Forooshani himself have reservations about utilizing these little pests on a large-scale to battle coffee rust. The small f***ers are notorious for eating anything.
Link to Haijan-Forooshani’s study: https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ecy.2966
Actual Stove Espresso, can anyone test this please?
- Coffee brewed using a Moka Pot was said to be almost espresso like. This product from the UK, the 9Barista, is supposed to actually make espresso from a stovetop brewer.
- It bears a lot of resemblance to the traditional Moka Pot, just taller (and more pretentious). It features a dual-boiler design able to accumulate 9 bars of pressure when heated.
- The makers, led by Jet Engineer Will Playford, claims it can yield espresso “akin to what’s made on commercial coffee bars”
- I’m just going to wait for someone to review this.
Kapihan 2 02142020
Please subscribe so you will never miss a post. Follow #shareyourkape on social media:
Coffee breaks are an actual thing. In offices here in the Philippines, there are usually two 15-minute coffee breaks every day and these are actually discussed by HR. Of course almost everyone doesn’t really use these breaks to get coffee but that may be the company’s fault. Yes, if you want to gauge how invested your company is to your career, you should base it on the coffee available for your consumption.
There won’t ever be a “Coffee Expense” line in any financial statement Continue reading “Want better office productivity? Get an espresso machine.”
It’s official, doughnuts/donuts won the battle with Cake as the number 1 sweet partner for coffee. Well, okay, a poll on a small IG account’s story isn’t really anything official but whatever.
Worth walking through extreme heat (it was 12:30pm) to get here
I’ve always loved doughnuts. Continue reading “Kape with a donut on the side”
Some (like about 2 people) will say this is a topic I’ve been beating to the ground on this blog, but it should be discussed. Or I don’t have anything to write about so I reuse.
Dramatic coffee, what’s not to like?
Continue reading “Are you rich because you coffee?”
I have more than one (1) Instagram account.
We actually do have those metal things in our garden
Since you’re reading this blog, that one (1) Instagram account is @shareyourkape which was started in September 2017. Continue reading “Why should I care about your coffee?”
I use a web browser that recommends articles (powered by the site/app Pocket) and one of the articles it suggested today was this beauty by Vox titled “Scientists agree: Coffee naps are better than coffee or naps alone”. I fully agree.
It’s a good read, not only telling us that coffee naps are good but actually presenting facts to support it. “Coffee Nap” is Continue reading “The (apparent) Power of the Coffee Nap”
Not trying to be extra with that title, it was not easy to find this café inside the Ayala Malls the 30th.
Take your pick
Before anything else, am I the only one who finds it weird that this mall is called “Ayala Malls the 30th”? Continue reading “There it was, a Moment of Happiness”